2410 Two Kandep Ballot Boxes Missing after Break-in

Two ballot boxes belonging to two other candidates in the 2012 National Elections from the recent Supreme Court ordered judicial recount of the Kandep seat in Enga have gone missing following a break-in last Wednesday (October 19, 2016). Police in Wabag confirmed the incident and have vowed to conduct a thorough investigation to establish the motive and persons involved.

Provincial Police Commander acting Superintendent George Kakas told The National newspaper that the incident happened in the early hours of October 19 in Wabag where all the 73 ballot boxes were being stored.

Kakas condemned such action and said police would investigate what the motive was for the two ballot boxes to be taken.

He told The National newspaper that the recently concluded recount had been successfully weeks ago and the results have been taken to Port Moresby to return to the Supreme Court to make official declaration of the winning candidate.

The PPC said police did not know the reason why the two ballot boxes were targeted.

Kakas said the two ballot boxes were stolen from a locked container which had the rest of the boxes.

"There was a break-in. We will get to the bottom of this," he said.

"My investigation team will fly down to Port Moresby to talk to the Electoral Commission."

"The Electoral Commission will give us an answer," Kakas said.

The judicial recount of the 2012 ballots was ordered by the Supreme Court following a successful election petition filed by runner-up and prominent lawyer Alfred Luke Manase against the winner and Opposition Leader Don Polye.

Results of the judicial recount have yet to be declared by the Supreme Court in Waigani.



THE NATIONAL NEWSPAPER/ALPHONSE MUAPI

Website designed by Minsoft | Copyright © 2016 Papua New Guinea Electoral Commission | Sitemaster